The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

15 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm switching more inte low carb, thinking of eliminating the sour dough bread I always have for breakfast on non fast days. High in calories I guess, but I've lost too much weight anyway.

Experimented a little this morning:

Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius

Four eggs
Some rapeseed oil
Some water

Mix it together in a bowl

Some crushed flax seed
A little bit of hemp seed and/or other seed like sesame seed, I guess you can use whatever you prefer or have available
Salt
Baking powder (not sure if necessary)

Mix together and pour the seed mix into the egg mixture, stir with a fork and let it rest for a minute or two. It's supposed to be like some kind of porridge, not too loose and not too thick. If it's too loose, add more flax seed.

Grease an oven plate and pour the mixture out, flatten it so it's about 1 cm thick or less.

Into the oven for about 20 minutes.

Done!

It was actually delicious, worked perfectly as bread for breakfast, and very easy to make.
Looks interesting but it looks like it might need a fair bit of flax seed to hold it together? More of a traditional unleavened flatbread?
Thank you Michael. I'm going to try this. It looks easy and quick! Soughdough is about the only carby treat I have these days and normally save it for a Saturday morning. :smile: Here is another one that you might like. It does not need the honey, meaning that the carb content is low. http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/ ... o-and-scd/
Debs wrote: Looks interesting but it looks like it might need a fair bit of flax seed to hold it together? More of a traditional unleavened flatbread?

I didn't take any measurements, but perhaps I used a deciliter or two of seeds. I just added until the porridge felt suitable for pouring out onto the oven plate and flatten with a spatula.

It had a mild nutty flavour, consistency like bread and kept well together with all the toppings I prefer for breakfast.

I guess you can compare it to unleavend flatbread in thickness, but you can't of course wrap it around things in the same way, it's too grainy and would fall apart. More like a loaf of bread, even if some would call it something like oven baked flax seed omelette/pancake.
rawkaren wrote: Thank you Michael. I'm going to try this. It looks easy and quick! Soughdough is about the only carby treat I have these days and normally save it for a Saturday morning. :smile: Here is another one that you might like. It does not need the honey, meaning that the carb content is low. http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/ ... o-and-scd/

Interesting, seems to take a little more effort, but I might try it. Thanks!
I'll try freezing some of it, and put the rest in the fridge. We'll see how it is when it's not fresh out of the oven.
Good idea. I have cooked her banana bread and zucchini bread (made these ones as muffins). I froze both so I just take out what I need and they were fine.
Modified the recipe, the baking powder is pointless. I eliminated it.

Also, you don't need that many eggs if you let the flax seed lie in water for a while before spreading it out on the plate. The seeds create some kind of slime that will keep it all together, you avoid the risk of some pieces tasting "eggy". It's possible you don't need eggs at all.

This time I used coconut fat instead of rapeseed oil, worked fine, and probably healthier. It improved the texture, nice and crispy.

And of course, if you spread it out on oven paper you save yourself some work cleaning the plate, and avoids the risk of the pieces sticking to the plate. I'll get myself some reusable silicon baking mat.
I'd like to try that if you can give me a rough idea of what you've ended up with now you've jiggled it a bit. I hate gluten free bread and its still grains so its still carby. I make oopsie but I do it on silicone sheet on a swiss roll tin and cut it into squares. I find that if I make it the day before I want to use it and keep it in a box in the fridge it loses its crispness and will make a decent sandwich. When its freshly made its less bready and breaks up. I have made that with flax seed and various other seeds added for a bit of variety.
A rough idea of what I ended up with, hmm..

I flatten the mixture out as thinly as possible, less than a cm thick. The texture is quite bread like, and it holds together like ordinary bread so you can use the toppings you prefer. Mild nutty taste, others who have tasted it have no objections, they liked it and accepted it as "bread".

if you leave it in the oven long enough and it's thin enough I guess you get more of a cracker texture.

You can buy similar LCHF stuff in stores, it's really expensive though. I guess you can get the same qualities rather easily yourself, but probably you should use longer time in the oven and lower temperature.
Hope you don't mind my asking but what exactly did you use for your revised recipe and in what proportions? :?:
Yes callyanna, I don't think I made myself very clear, thats what I was asking too! More on the lines of proportions of oil/water etc. I'm always on the lookout for low carb and gluten free ideas to replace bread. I hate the texture of the bought breads and the ingredient panels on the wrappers read like chemical warfare!!!
Hi Miffy
FatDog's flaxseed crackers has some potential to be like a pumperknickle bread, I followed the recipe and instead of making very thin I plopped into an egg ring on baking paper and patted them into shape so they were thick and I left them in the fridge a couple of days and they were yummy. Did a lot of pinging in microwave as mine were thicker but they worked. I was very impressed with the texture of the flaxseed and taste
callyanna wrote: Hope you don't mind my asking but what exactly did you use for your revised recipe and in what proportions? :?:

Sorry, I didn't take any measurements. I just went for the amounts and proportions I felt were appropriate for filling out one oven plate. I guess about 1.5-3 dl of flax seeds, 1-2 eggs, 1-2 dl of water and 2-4 tablespoons of some kind of oil, salt according to taste.

Aim for some kind of paste that you feel would do the job, with a reasonable viscosity. Add more seed if too loose, more water if to thick.

I would guess the fat doesn't contribute to the pieces holding together, so more water than fat. You can probably skip the fat as well, but the coconut oil was good for taste.
OK, this time I did take measurements, and changed the recipe again.

Preheat oven to 175 Celsius

2 dl flax seed
2-3 tablespoons hemp seed or other seeds/nuts
1.75-2 dl water
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
Salt

Mix flax seed with water, let rest for a couple of minutes

Mix with egg, coconut oil, other seeds and salt

Spread the mixture on oven paper thinly, 2-3 mm.

Into the oven for 15-20 minutes, watch it at the end since it can burn pretty quickly.

Since it's very thin, and not as much eggs, it becomes more like crackers, more crispy and breaks more easily than earlier versions, but it still sturdy enough to work as breakfast bread.

Since I started eating this low carb bread for breakfast some good things have happened.

I was losing too much weight and not enough body fat, this morning I had managed to gain weight and avoid getting below 70 kg, and the body fat had gone down substantially, exactly what I was after.

Low carb, exercise with some degree of intensity and 5:2 seems like a great combination.
15 posts Page 1 of 1