The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 2 of 2
I found that I was fooling myself about my size and must have been for a very long time. As its been over 2 stone lost before I can honestly say some, and only some clothes are too big now, but others that I thought were MY size, I'm only just now wearing totally comfortably.
I would say that I was a size 26 to 28 squeezing into size 22 and 24.

Now I'm comfy in 22 with baggy falling off 24's in the trouser area. But my tops are just getting to the stage where they don't gape at the button holes any more.

I have such a long way to go. You people in size 18's and smaller ought to offer up your grown out of stuff on here for us bigger ladies to buy or receive. I did start a thread a while ago about it, but no one posted anything.
Now that WOULD be a good excuse for a trip to the UK, Julie! :wink:
I hear you and I feel your pain. I was about to buy a couple of t-shirts for the interim as a lot my current ones are gaping badly and from my current stash at home I have size small that is too big through to a size 12 that fits just right.

I picked up a couple of t-shirts in a shop and just by holding them up to my body I could not figure what size to take into the change room an 8, 10 or 12. From the measurements posted around the clothing racks I should be a size 12 but holding it to my shoulders it was way too big. After about 5 mins of fluffing around holding up t-shirts to my shoulders (of course all the different brands and styles seemed to be cut to different measurements) I just became frustrated and purchased nothing.

I am going to have to go back and buy some soon because the t-shirt I am wearing today is not really suitable to wear in public as I get some major gaping when I even move my shoulders let alone bend over. Oh and this t-shirt is size small. Figure it out for me please, someone help me out :bugeyes:

This is coming from someone who sews, knows her measurements to the cm down to the kind of detail like ok my hips are 102cm, how many cm around the front and how man cm around the back (from side seam to side seam), same for my waist, bust, high bust and distance from my waist to fullest part of my hips. All those numbers are easy to navigate compared to trying to find my correct size in ready to wear.

I would be very happy to see standardised sizing in clothing (not that it will ever happen). Oh and bras I am starting to go all :/ because I am just starting to wear my bras on the smallest set of eyes.

When I stop rolling my eyes and pull myself back together this time last year I was struggling to fit in what I had in my wardrobe (mostly size 14's) and now I can fit in pretty much everything less the clothes that are now too big. So really I need to keep perspective and stay focused on what is important here and that Is that I am shrinking out of my clothes. Happy times.
I have 2 pairs of exactly the same jeans, one fits better than the other, not a lot but there is a difference. I also tried on a pair the same but in a different colour, too small!! It's not just women's clothes, my son likes one type of Levi's so we bought a pair online, same style, same size, they fit differently to the others he has. :?:
Wineoclock wrote: I have 2 pairs of exactly the same jeans, one fits better than the other, not a lot but there is a difference. I also tried on a pair the same but in a different colour, too small!! It's not just women's clothes, my son likes one type of Levi's so we bought a pair online, same style, same size, they fit differently to the others he has. :?:

I can answer that question for you. When ready to wear clothes are cut they do not cut out one garment at a time. Depending on the fabric they stack e.g. Ten layers of fabric and clamp it down and cut out ten size 12's at a time (could be any size just using 12 as an example). Due to the way they hold down the fabric the difference between the top garment and the bottom garment in the stack can vary by a dress size.

So if you have a favourite garment and want to buy the same size take about three or four of the same size (i.e. all size 12's) into the change room and see for yourself which one fits best. I can almost guarantee you that they will all fit differently. Another little side note, occasionally the sewer accidently sews the wrong size tag inside the garment.
I think we should try to get a magazine to give a group of us a makeover! I for one feel I need a new look and a bit of help in doing so. Anyone else? Personally I'd love Gok to help us, but I'm sure a Women's Mag might be interested in doing a makeover feature for 5:2ers!
Moogie, what a fantastic idea. I don't know how something like that could be organised but I am all for it.
Guess one of us would need to approach some magazines - preferably ones which have been positive towards 5:2.
Great idea! I'm in!

I'm now a size 14 for skirts in most shops having reduced from size 18-20 and a size 16 for tops down from 20-22. Trousers gape at the waist still though.

Looking at the what's my size webpage I can see that my problem is that my waist is too small and my bust too large for the standard size 14 shape. I'm 41, 31, 41 but most shops want me to be 39, 32, 40. Interestingly (to me anyway) is that I used to have a 9" difference between my bust and waist and a 10" difference between waist and hips, whatever size I was. Since fasting I've gained a true hourglass figure...I'm pretty pleased about that! Unfortunately, no-one makes clothes for an hourglass shape these days.
@Moogie Woman and Home seems to be an option - they have done a bit on 5:2
http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/d ... -fast-diet

And they also regularly do fashion features/ makeovers on real women of different ages and shapes. I'm sure they would be interested.
Thanks ladies! I'll have to try emailing them :)
I agree it is hard. I went bra shopping yesterday and I had more than 20 bras in there. One was a 40 d and way too big but I ended up buying a 42 dd that is too small.
What? Same brand too just different style. I was a little upset when I first started losing weight I wasnt going down in sizes like multiple sizes but I'm
Ok with it now. I used to wear an 18 but it was small on me and it buttoned below my waist now I'm a 16 and its around my waist and a little big. Still I was like one size! It's still fun tho but ya I have to take so many things into the dressing room!
27 posts Page 2 of 2