The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 1 of 2
On Plateaus
23 Jul 2013, 02:55
I hate plateaus. In my first 16 weeks of 5:2, I did not lose an ounce in 9 of the 16 weeks. (Here is my rant on that: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6491.html). Three plateaus of two, three and four weeks, respectively. That is just wrong. Weight loss is supposed to be steady (and fast).

Posts on this site mention plateaus constantly. I even did independent research trying to find any kind of answer for the mystery that is a plateau. I remain totally unsatisfied. There isn’t even an accepted definition of a weight loss plateau.

The minimum time before a plateau can be declared seems to be two weeks without weight or inches lost. So if you have not measured your waist, two weeks without weight loss may not a plateau make. Some say four weeks minimum, while one I ran into declares it can only be a plateau if you have gone 8 weeks without a loss (now that is hardcore, but if accepted would get rid of a lot of complaining about plateaus since you could not start complaining for 8 weeks and by then most plateaus have faded into history).

Personally, I think there is no real plateau until four weeks have passed. If you weigh yourself on a day when your body is dehydrated (and also perhaps devoid of as much as usual ‘in transit’ food) you can easily get a weight reading two or more pounds lighter than ‘normal’. Given the slow weight loss associated with 5:2 (and most other diets), it can easily take three weeks for real fat weight loss to overcome any gain in weight associated with reestablishing normal water (and other) weight levels. That also explains why you can notice decreased measurements as the fat disappears, but not have a corresponding weight loss.

If, however, you are experiencing a plateau of longer than a month, you may have to look at two other factors – what your TDEE really is, and how many calories you are consuming.

TDEE is an estimate. And if you compute it on more than one TDEE calculator you can easily find on the internet, you will find you can get numbers that vary 400 calories per day, or more (here is one: http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calcu ... t-20084939). I actually know what my TDEE is, and I can say the calculator on this site gives me a number over 300 calories a day higher. If I ate to that number on my non-diet days, my weight loss would be quite a bit less than it has been. So I recommend that you try various TDEE calculators, put in less activity than you think you are doing and then take the lowest number you get as your base TDEE. If you start eating to that new, lower TDEE, you may find you will restart your weight loss. (Here is more on TDEE: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6600.html.)

The basic reason for a long plateau is eating more than your TDEE amount (whatever it is) for your five non-diet days. Even though many people don’t seem to like counting calories (like me), that is about the only way to confirm you are not eating above your TDEE.

Researchers looked at people who said they were eating 1200 calories a day but not losing weight. The dieters blamed slow metabolisms and thyroid problems (though not on medications) as the reason they could not lose weight. They were not counting their calories, however. Being experienced dieters, they thought they had a pretty good idea of what they were eating.

The research showed that, on average, the dieters were actually eating 47% more calories than they thought they were. Additional research indicated that dieticians (who should know their calories) estimated they were eating 16% fewer calories than they actually were. Added to this, the research subjects over reported their physical activity by 51% (that activity factor in the TDEE calculators again).

So the most common cause for a long plateau (over a month) is eating over your TDEE on your non-diet days.

‘Breaking through’ a plateau seems to be a topic of much more discussion than its definition (or cause). All of the fitness based sites declare more exercise is the answer. ‘Mixing things up’ – even eating more – is another idea that pops up frequently (it is always interesting to be told to eat more calories to lose weight). Of course, some say eating less is the answer (but what do they know). However, none cite studies with control groups. So if a person suffering through a plateau exercises and starts losing weight again, who is to say they would not have resumed their weight loss without that exercise? I guess some feel it better to do something (anything) to get going again, rather than suffering in silence and inactivity.

Of course, for some a plateau is a handy excuse to quit their current diet. After all, if it is not working, why bother? It is easier to declare the diet deficient and go back to old eating habits. They are easier, more familiar and perhaps more fun. And the weight gain side effect is to be expected, having been experienced before.

However, in the 9 weeks when I saw no weight loss, I also noticed no weight gain. That was unlike what was going on before 5:2. I calculated my current TDEE (for I had lost some weight and my TDEE went down slightly as a result), made sure my diet days were 600 calories or less, and confirmed my non-diet days were averaging my TDEE (or less). And I waited.

I hate waiting. But it works.
Re: On Plateaus
23 Jul 2013, 03:31
Hi, as long as it doesn't go up, that's the main thing, i've gone 3 weeks with nothing, then lose 600g, then I go 2 weeks with no loss, then lose 600g again. Then the following week i put on 100g, but the week after lost 1kg. Not sure how it works, could have something to do with what you eat the night before as to what the scale registers the next morning. All in all it's goint down so I will remain eating this way. Wondering how many other people have the same thing, losses showing every 2 or 3 weeks (unfortunately sometime longer)???
23 Jul 2013, 03:32
Ah the dreaded plateau - I've sort of been having 1 for 7 weeks - I'll start whingeing this week if I don't lose ;>) However since I have passed my first goal and only 1.5kg from new goal, I sort of think of it as maintenance. As u say no weight gain...well I have been up/down about a kg and down .5kg overall in that 7 weeks. I know I could start 'dieting' on feed days but I can't be *rsed to be honest. I am used to the fasting and so long as I don't gain I'm happy.
23 Jul 2013, 07:49
Hi
Love your posts simcoeluv
since damagaing my ankle and coming back from holiday on may 11 i have hardly moved, 13.3 to 13dead.
it is very very slowly going down and this is the longest i have eveer stuck with any form of diet
as long as i still keep creeping downwards overall i am happy - no gain is good but sometimes it gets frustrating as i had such a good start to this
hopfully when i can get back to some proper exercise rwice a week it might start to spped up again

jeniben
23 Jul 2013, 08:37
Water!
Specially for women, we retain/lose water as we cycle though the month.
And if you have drunk coffee/wine etc you might lose water when infact you have gained calories (at least in the case of wine, one of my weaknesses).
Muscle weighs more than fat too.
Loads of reasons beyond this I'm sure.
Thing is, now we newbies know it is a common thing to happen when 5-2ing hopefully it won't make us give up!
23 Jul 2013, 16:57
Traybelin wrote: Thing is, now we newbies know it is a common thing to happen when 5-2ing hopefully it won't make us give up!

Exactly. :cool:
23 Jul 2013, 17:54
"Suffering in silence"....... :rotfl: :party: :shutmouth: :shutmouth: :zombiekiller: :zombiekiller: :struggle: :struggle: :wilt: :wilt: Let me tell you, no female has ever suffered in silence in this house!!!!! Males, of course, are a totally different species :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
23 Jul 2013, 18:07
Ballerina wrote: "Suffering in silence"....... :rotfl: :party: :shutmouth: :shutmouth: :zombiekiller: :zombiekiller: :struggle: :struggle: :wilt: :wilt: Let me tell you, no female has ever suffered in silence in this house!!!!! Males, of course, are a totally different species :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:

Well, it sounded good. :)
28 Jul 2013, 00:42
My thanks to ADFnFuel for pointing me to some interesting research.

One reason for a plateau is eating more than your TDEE for your five feast days. Even though many people don't seem to like counting calories (like me), that is about the only way to confirm you are not eating above your TDEE.

The research looked at people who said they were eating 1200 calories a day but not losing weight. They blamed slow metabolisms and thyroid problems (though not on medications) as the reason they could not lose weight. They were not counting their calories, however. Being experienced dieters, they had a pretty good idea of what they were eating.

The research showed that, on average, they were actually eating 47% more calories than they thought they were. Additional research indicated that dieticians (who should know their calories) estimated they were eating 16% fewer calories than they actually were.

Added to this, the research subjects over reported their physical activity by 51%.

So, as suggested, make sure your TDEE is accurate, and you are eating, on average, your TDEE or less on your feast days.

:clover:
28 Jul 2013, 01:05
All I know is that I am slowly getting to my goal while my weight is doing this bouncing around thingy. I get a glimmer e.g a new lowest weight and then it disappears and I have to work at it to get those figures back permanently and that can take what seems like an age and the bounce back can be up to a 1kg. Cant say if it is fat or muscle or water. I call the slowness of this process for me plateaus. I do all the things eg measure waist regularly, weight daily and the loose clothes. I record what I have consumed in MFP to reflect on this relating to my TDEE.
28 Jul 2013, 10:48
Just realised that I'm probably on one but as I'd lost 2 kg for the month, I hadn't really noticed until my OH started looked at the numbers.

I had some time off the exercise and have been back 2 weeks, so I suspect I have less fat and more muscle again. Also more muscle damage due to the weights and the ongoing attempts to get my 80 kgs suspended from a pullup bar!
29 Jul 2013, 08:39
i have been on a platuea for what seems like ever but probably only 3 months and i just had a light bulb moment
These plateaus where we lose gain the same ounces/pounds/kilos - because we weight every day or weekly it seems like we are going nowhere but as Gillymary says there are new lows appearing every so often so we keep going and aiming for those
If when we are gaining weight we were to weigh daily weekly etc we would see the same little increase week in week out until after several months/ a year even you are up a stone or two
what this ramble is trying to say is that although we think we are plateauing and not losing we are - in the same way as we never really realise we are putting on weight but slowy slowly we do
does this lightbulb make sense to anyone else or am i just hoping this is the case cos its taken me sooooo long to move a couple of pounds - i know i could / should adhjust tdee perhaps but this is working slowoly and with no detriment to my lifestyle

jeniben
13 Aug 2013, 01:23
Jeniben, that makes sense to me. I'm tempted to think I'm on a plateau, but I think you're right, it's just very very very slow weight loss. Those ups and downs are going ever so slightly further down than up as the weeks go on.
02 Dec 2013, 20:37
The first week that I started 5:2 in October of this year I lost 4 lbs which seemed extraordinary and unexpected, unfortunately it was short lived as the following week I had gained 2 lbs. I do not have a great deal of weight to lose, about 4-6lbs would be great but more would be very welcome. Weight gain is obviously unwanted. The only consolation that I have is my bodyfat has dropped from 20.4 to 18.96% so I cant really complain. So as long as these numbers keep going down and not up I will continue with this new way of eating. Reading the various posts on this website reminds me that I am not alone and a plateau is not forever.

Height: 5'4"
Current weight: 140lbs
I work out 5 days a week both cardio and weight training
02 Dec 2013, 20:50
Welcome panther. Wow your body fat is quite low already. Well done. You must be über fit. Maybe you don't have much to lose. Average loss is a pound a week. Slightly less for me but happy to be plodding on at this pace. Good luck :clover: :heart: :clover:
22 posts Page 1 of 2