The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

29 posts Page 1 of 2
The Scale Tale
13 Aug 2013, 01:45
As I bounce around this Forum, I often come across posts from people that are upset about their weight gain. They get on their scales and see they have gained 300 grams (or whatever), or maybe have not lost any weight when they feel they should have, and wonder what is wrong with them, their food or 5:2. They have got nothing on me.

I don't weigh myself that often. I have an old scale that has a dial that theoretically tells me my weight in pounds. I really can't see the dial that well, so when I'm on the scale I am really only getting an estimate of what the dial says. If I really care what the dial says, I put a mark where it is pointing. That way, I can actually see the poundage line, and later on see if I am gaining or losing from that mark. It’s probably another reason I don't weigh myself that often.

But I weighed myself awhile ago and was happy to see I was down 19 pounds in 19 weeks. I went through the rest of the week, and Saturday I went to a beer festival where there was much great beer and food. Under 5:2, I can eat normally if it is not a fast day, so I did.

I sampled over 20 beers (4 to 12 oz. a sample), had a large breakfast (can't drink beer on an empty stomach), a large lunch, great dinner and some really good snacks in between. Overall, just a great day.

However, I got on my scale Sunday morning and could not help but notice I had gained 6 pounds since the previous Wednesday.

Now 6 pounds is a lot. It is about 21,000 cal. And that is over and above my daily TDEE that I can eat without gaining any weight. Add 12,000 calories for 5 days. I immediately started (trying) to remember what I had eaten that added up to 33,000 calories and had caused that much weight gain in only 5 days.

Let’s see - I like eggs, but I would have had to eaten 390 of them for that weight gain, and I could not remember doing that. I also like chicken breasts (with skin), but I would have had to eaten 132 of those and I did not see even one chicken bone in my garbage, so I must not have eaten that much chicken. Beer has no calories (or so I’ve been told, I think), so it could not have been the beer.

I proceeded to fast on Sunday, curious about what I had eaten that had caused me to wipe out 6 weeks of hard earned weight loss in only 5 days.

I stuck to my fast, and Sunday evening thought I would weigh myself to see how I was doing. I was down 2 pounds - a good start. I went to bed and was delighted to find upon waking that I had lost another 2 pounds overnight. Sort of magic. I ate a nice breakfast of bacon, eggs and bagel with lots of great coffee and went about my day. I just stepped on the scales again, and am delighted to report I am now the same weight I was last Wednesday. Now I'm trying to figure out how I managed to cut 21,000 calories out of my diet in just 2 days, when I ‘normally’ eat only 2400 calories per day. Seems like that would be hard to do, even if I ate nothing.

So for all of you that become concerned when you gain a little weight on 5:2, or don't lose as fast as you feel you should, don't sweat the small stuff. I gained 6 pounds on 5:2 in just 5 days.

But lost them all in 2.

Remember, it takes as much work to gain weight quickly as to lose it quickly. And most of us don’t put in that much work. So it’s usually just ‘easy on, easy off’ (otherwise known as water weight).

Good Luck!
Re: The Scale Tale
13 Aug 2013, 01:58
LMAO! That's quite a week there!
13 Aug 2013, 01:59
Hi @simcoeluv very interesting tale! Yes, I'm also someone who isn't going by the scales... that 6 pound gain sounds a little like my bad dreams! :bugeyes:
13 Aug 2013, 02:01
I really enjoy reading your posts and always on the hunt for them. You make so much sense and seem to answer my thoughts concerns and queries every time. :grin:
13 Aug 2013, 02:13
Beer has about 150 calories per can I think. Almost everytime I gain a lot in just one day I've drank beer or wine even if I eat really good with it. It's amazing the difference weight can be. I woke up early morning around 4 am for work just one day and was 6 pounds heavier! It's was nuts.
13 Aug 2013, 03:27
Ha, my sentiments were the same this morning when I weighed. Didn't lose an ounce. Fine, I over ate last Thursday at work for a birthday event, but skipped dinner that night. I may have eaten a tad too much gaucomole and chips on Sunday. But dog gone it, I was ever faithful in my walks all week. Oh well, it will drop off eventually, maybe when I least expect it:)
13 Aug 2013, 03:49
My scales can vary 200 to 300 grams depending how I stand on them - I try to stand very lightly.
As for beer having no calories that's fine as long as wine doesn't have any as well.
13 Aug 2013, 03:53
Simcoeluv - that is just the tale I needed to hear! Thank you, I feel more relaxed already :-)
13 Aug 2013, 05:01
Great post! Perspective is everything in this WOE. It's easy to get ruled by the scales. I'm a once a week weigher as I would drive myself crazy ( or give up) with lots of little gains and losses. :)
13 Aug 2013, 06:37
Thanks Simcoeluv, that was a definite morale booster.

I wouldn't mind my scales fluctuating wildly if other indicators showed steady progress. But after an initial loss, my waist measurement hasn't budged in 5 months (I still need to lose 7 inches to get to target) and my fat percentage has just bounced up and down within the same 2 points ever since I started 5:2.

So I end up relying on the lb loss to keep me motivated. Very happy with the stone I've lost so far, just wish the readings would be steady and consistent.

Oh, and I agree with Wineoclock - let's live in a world where neither beer nor wine has any calories. And a nice single malt actually makes us lose weight! :smile:
13 Aug 2013, 06:44
shachat wrote: Thanks Simcoeluv, that was a definite morale booster.

Oh, and I agree with Wineoclock - let's live in a world where neither beer nor wine has any calories. And a nice single malt actually makes us lose weight! :smile:

I looked in a book and none of those have calories. Of course, it was a comic book. But I believe anything that is in print. :wink:
13 Aug 2013, 09:16
simcoeluv wrote:

I looked in a book and none of those have calories. Of course, it was a comic book. But I believe anything that is in print. :wink:

Yes, thanks for a great post.

And maybe we should write our own book! :)
13 Aug 2013, 09:25
Oh of COURSE beer doesn't have calories... it's a DRINK!! We all know that calories only exist in food!!! :razz:
13 Aug 2013, 09:32
Great post! Simcoeluv I love your work.

I had the same problem last weekend. A friend came back to Australia after being away for three years (she was only here for ten days to get her visa all organised to go back to her new home) naturally we had a party and well I partied very hard. The next day I had gained two kilos (approx. 4 lbs).

Two days later I had my regular fast day and the 2 kgs had dropped off. My regular eating days were just that so there was no additional calorie counting. I love this way of eating/life.

I too own old scales that have a dial. Having done some work in my time a labs where the scales were so sensitive that they have glass doors around them as the breeze could affect the measurements, these scales are professionally calibrated and are correct to three decimal points. I know that my old bathroom scales are probably wrong as they are old, they are never calibrated and they only measure in whole kilos and I can only visually estimate when I have gone down half a kilo but they give me an idea of how much I have actually lost regardless of what my exact/true weight was when I started. For me it is not so important to know exactly my accurate weight but to know that I am generally trending in the right direction.

So I use my scale, I take my measurements and I judge by how my clothes fit and most of all I am in this way of life for the long haul (didn't gain quickly so I won't lose it quickly) and one day I shall get to my goal. I make slower progress than others due to medical conditions but I just take it one day at a time.
13 Aug 2013, 10:13
simcoeluv wrote:

I'm like the White Queen in Through the Looking Glass (Alice in Wonderland) - "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast"!
29 posts Page 1 of 2