This is what I'm cooking for dinner here tonight

100g Freekeh 352cal
1/2 Tbs olive oil. 73
1 onion. 29
200g Mushrooms. 50
200g silverbeet. 34
600ml veggie stock 48
586. Serves 2 293 per serve

Cook onion in oil. Add Freekeh and stir. Add hot stock a ladle at a time (like risotto add more stock as each ladle is absorbed.
When nearly cooked add finely sliced mushrooms cook a few minutes. Then add silverbeet and cook a few minutes. Season to taste
You could use pearl barley instead of freekeh . Use spinach if no silverbeet.
Well, I've learned something new!
I'd never heard of freekeh and had to Google it. Is it lower in cals than rice?

I use a mix of spelt, pearly barley and rice to make a risotto.
Rice and freekeh are similar in calories as is pearl barley. Freekeh has a nutty taste. It's doesn't get really soft but I like the bitey feel. It's hard to get where I am.
Never heard of this before either! Will have to do a bit of looking about on the web to source it! Love risotto so would like to try, so thx Wineoclock :smile:
This post has stirred up long lost memories for me - I knew it as fric, and the last time I ate it was in Jerusalem, cooked by my late mil. It's used in Middle Eastern cooking, especially during the cold winter months, the way we use barley in soups like Scotch broth to keep us going when it's cold. It has a very moreish, nutty taste and is filling. I think, like quinoa, it has been "discovered". I must find some before the cold weather sets in....!
5 posts Page 1 of 1