The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 19 of 96
Previous 1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
23 Jan 2014, 18:16
callyanna wrote:
Auriga wrote: Sorry couldn't resist this one.....

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Hope it's a low carb one then! :shock: :geek:

Can you get low carb ears then? :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
23 Jan 2014, 19:12
Following on from Janeg's post about poached egg accompaniments, here are some low-carb bubble and squeak recipes I've found

http://www.thehealthychef.com/2013/05/bubble-squeak/

http://michellekoen.com/squeaky-clean-b ... nd-squeak/

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/02 ... eak-2.html

Going to try these, and will report back.
23 Jan 2014, 19:19
Hi @sueq - I tried sliced celeriac baked with cream last night. It was largely a disaster ; took over 2 hours to cook, and then was too rich - and I love rich fatty foods. So next time I'm going to try either the chips, or the mash, I love the idea of it with horseradish

Tonights fast dinner was veg curry with 2 hard boiled eggs, and a spoon of full fat nat yoghurt. Food of the Gods. I've rediscovered the problem of low-carb food being wet : no carby mash/rice etc to soak up the juices, and no flour/lentils etc to make any sauces thicker. So I dried out the curry on a high heat when I reheated it from the freezer, and it was perfect, moist but not soggy.
24 Jan 2014, 21:08
:heart: OK yes the celeriac was a success for me at least I went with @PennyForthem advice and did "chips" to go with the smoked haddock I really liked it very similar to roast parsnips :heart: I used up about a third of mine so will make @callyanna soup as a non fast starter for tomorrow's meal then reserve some for my Monday fastday,
I've got to get a grip of things now!!!

Also bought a butternut squash from Aldi at 49p!!!
Now what do I do with that? oven roasting I'm thinking maybe a veggie medley for my new start on Monday.
24 Jan 2014, 21:15
I have a butternut squash tagine recipe, sue. Would you like it?
24 Jan 2014, 21:17
Sue.Q wrote: :heart: OK yes the celeriac was a success for me at least I went with @PennyForthem advice and did "chips" to go with the smoked haddock I really liked it very similar to roast parsnips :heart: I used up about a third of mine so will make @callyanna soup as a non fast starter for tomorrow's meal then reserve some for my Monday fastday,
I've got to get a grip of things now!!!

Also bought a butternut squash from Aldi at 49p!!!
Now what do I do with that? oven roasting I'm thinking maybe a veggie medley for my new start on Monday.

Great that you enjoyed the celeriac Sue! You're just like me trying out all these new veg for the first time! :shock:
I first bought a butternut squash to make @rawkarens pumpkin bread (yum!), but now buy it to roast (goes all sweet and caramelises in the oven), for veggie curries, soups. You'll love it! :grin:
24 Jan 2014, 21:30
PennyForthem wrote: I have a butternut squash tagine recipe, sue. Would you like it?

Oh yes please @PennyForthem Would love to try that.

@callyanna I really fancy it cooked in the oven because the one I did in week was sold to me as squash but wasn't green it was like a mini pumpkin same colour shape whatever it was I cooked in the oven with spices and loved it, all my life I've avoided and hated all vegetables here I am loving all these. :heart:
24 Jan 2014, 21:47
Will dig out the recipe tomorrow for you Sue x
26 Jan 2014, 13:48
:heart: Well the butternut squash was also a success I made the spicy soup with chillies :like: :heart:
Tomorrow will be @PennyForthem Recipe for my fastday meal with chicken breast.

Do I assume that these are good carbs? I know the carb count with potatoes etc is lot higher but the carb content of the butternut squash seems high against celeriac + turnip.
26 Jan 2014, 14:11
Hey Sue, you're beginning to sound like an expert with all this talk of veggie carb loadings and squash type pumpkin things that are lovely roasted. I have always eaten veg, but very boringly. Who knew that it could all be jazzed up? I did try celeriac for the first time last year as a substitute for potato mash and it was lovely, made chips too but it's really hard to peel isn't it? and that put me off a bit. Will try it again, also the butternut squash. I often buy them and then throw them out after many weeks in the fridge. Once again you are very inspirational because you are game on to experiment and try things out. You are a little pioneer x
26 Jan 2014, 15:02
Sue, I find it all a matter of compromise; you shouldn't eat this, you can't eat that, this is tasteless, but very good for you...bah, I say. Eat what works for you m'dear.
Otherwise, we'd all be living on low carb, protein, high fibre sachets of gunk.

:heart: :heart:
26 Jan 2014, 15:07
I had Jerusalem Artichokes in my veg box; we've tried them roasted in chunks with other vegetables - bearable and in Thai Red Curry last night - yuk. Have to say I'm looking for a new home for the rest of them and hope I don't get them again. There are not many vegetables that I just can't get on with.
26 Jan 2014, 15:10
Oops! Just made GF fairy cakes with butter to cheer OH and ate a quality control one each. Yummy oh yummy.
Sorry.
As you were :0)
26 Jan 2014, 15:16
Loulou51 wrote: I had Jerusalem Artichokes in my veg box; we've tried them roasted in chunks with other vegetables - bearable and in Thai Red Curry last night - yuk. Have to say I'm looking for a new home for the rest of them and hope I don't get them again. There are not many vegetables that I just can't get on with.

They do make nice soup!
26 Jan 2014, 15:23
PennyForthem wrote: Sue, I find it all a matter of compromise; you shouldn't eat this, you can't eat that, this is tasteless, but very good for you...bah, I say. Eat what works for you m'dear.
Otherwise, we'd all be living on low carb, protein, high fibre sachets of gunk.

:heart: :heart:

The voice of reason @PennyForthem! Isn't this WOL supposed to fit YOU as an individual, certainly not a prescriptive set of rules or a 'one size fits all' :?: Whatever works for me is going to be my mantra from now on or I'll be counting calories again and cutting out certain foods which is not how I want to eat! :oops:
Previous 1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 19 of 96