CRIMBLE QUIZ - ROUND 2 - 1940s
17 Nov 2013, 21:49
1940s

What did mechanical engineer Louis Reard design in 1946, naming it after an island in the South Pacific?

What happened on the ‘date which will live in infamy’?

‘Mrs Miniver’ won Best Picture, Best Actress award, and Best Director award at the Oscars in 1942. Who was the director?

Kamikaze was the name given to the Japanese pilots who launched suicide attacks against US vessels in WWII. But what does it mean?

In 1947 a French designer launched a collection that heralded a move away from wartime austerity. Who was the designer?

The European Recovery Program was its official name – but what was its more commonly known name?

Vera Lynn was known as ‘The Forces Sweetheart’ during WWII, however there was another well-known singer who toured and sang for the troops, but did not have Churchill’s support – who was she?

The Germans designed an early version of the cruise missile, used to bomb London and SE England from the summer of 1944. What was its popular name? (Possible 2 points)

Hitler’s mistress married him in the Berlin bunker, shortly before their suicides in 1945 – what was her name?

The Germans developed a way of swift attack they called ‘lightning war’ – what is the (full) German word for this?

As before, please press the PM button below my avatar - then enter your answers into the PM.
You will have until next Saturday night to send your answers ... i may take a little time to post answers and scores next weekend, as it will be a busy weekend for me.

Good luck everyone ... And remember that wet fish ...

@jemima or @carorees or another mod - could you please lock this thread so that answers can't be posted inadvertently? Many thanks :like: