The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

35 posts Page 1 of 3
fitbit flex - yes or no?
25 Jul 2013, 15:28
I have been thinking about getting some kind of activity monitor as with the heat of a Spanish summer my activity levels have dropped a lot. I need to get a handle on this and motivate myself to be more active every day. I like the idea of a bracelet that you can just forget about stays with you all day, rather than getting left behind on the beach in a pile of clothes etc..

Would love to hear any views from anyone who has tried a fitbit flex or similar - would you recommend it?

Thanks all :smile:
Re: fitbit flex - yes or no?
25 Jul 2013, 16:04
I use a FitBit Zip, I wear it clipped to my bra, it has only been through the wash once. I got it because it was the cheapest.
25 Jul 2013, 16:36
My lovely hubby is buying me a fitbit fuel band for my anniversary present next week. I am so excited. They look brilliant. Was going for the flex until I got him onto the case. They go for £80 on ebay. £123 apple store new. I'd say yes go for it girl and keep us updated.
25 Jul 2013, 16:54
I have a One, and really like it. I usually wear it clipped to my knickers (sorry if TMI!). I need to dress smart for work and I didn't want a bracelet clashing with my wardrobe. I've also read some reviews that the Flex, which is newer than the One, is not as good as the One.

That said, I wish the One had some kind of nicer wristband options, and the ability to wear it all the time on your wrist if you want to (the wristband is only meant to be worn when you're sleeping and not during other activity). On weekends I'd find it a lot easier to wear it on my wrist.
26 Jul 2013, 03:51
I have had a Fitbit One for about 4 months and absolutely love it. I clip it on the center of my bra or on occasion the neckline of my shirt. I don't take a step without it. Has really motivated me to move more.
26 Jul 2013, 04:35
There's a review here, which includes a comparison to other activity monitors: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/ ... ts-rivals/

It seems alot of 5:2ers have a fitbit. I wonder if anyone here has any of the others...
26 Jul 2013, 05:13
I have a zip and I love it. It doesn't do stairs, but the flex doesn't either. It does have your stats on display though which the flex does not.

If I could afford a more expensive one, I would go for the fitbit one because it seems to be slightly more accurate than the flex and it also displays your information.

I have just bought a Nike fuelband for my husband. He liked the look of it and thought he would lose anything clipped to his trousers.
26 Jul 2013, 05:52
I am about 80% sure I want the flex, mostly because I like the arm or ankle band. I have lost too many clip on pedometers. My ideal version would pick up cycling too (I use a bike for transport a lot) and show steps as well as lights - but can't find anything which covers all my wants, and wearing on wrist/ankle high priority.
26 Jul 2013, 06:07
I decided on a Fitbit One after some research mainly because I really wanted the display so I can keep a check on my total steps through the day - that's what pushes me to walk more. I also love the fact it records stairs. I live in a tiny house over 3 floors so I'm up and down stairs all day long like a yo-yo. I had no idea until I got the One that I routinely do 25-30 flights a day. A champ, according to the One! :like:

A bit of techie stuff - my mobile devices are BlackBerry which don't sync automatically with the One. I'm resigned to this and sync my data on my PC once every few days. What I don't know is whether a Fitbit without the display would show the data on a mobile by syncing frequently through the day.

I clip the One in the centre of my bra and then forget about it. I like the fact it's discreetly hidden so no one knows I'm obsessively counting my steps! :smile: All in all, I love my Fitbit - hugely motivating. One of the best investments I've made for my health, I reckon.
26 Jul 2013, 07:19
I have the One, too. I don't care much about the stairs or sleep tracking as they aren't features I use that often. But, I am constantly checking the step count and wouldn't like the Flex because I would have to sync to be able to see the number. It is the lack of display that would have kept me from getting it. But, I have had a Fitbit over a year and the Flex wasn't even an option back when I got mine. I will say that Fitbit Customer Service is awesome. I originally had a Fitbit Ultra and it cracked after 10 months of use. (There was a problem with the design that caused a lot of people to have the same problem.) Fitbit replaced my Ultra with a free upgraded Fitbit One. They responded to my case within 30 minutes on a Saturday and I had my new One in less than 5 business days like they promised! :cool:
26 Jul 2013, 08:36
OMG, this wol is costing me a fortune! I have just splashed out on a pair of Proskins leggings, now, after reading this thread I really, really want, no NEED a Fitbit! :curse: :curse:
26 Jul 2013, 09:15
LOL dhana I know what you mean costing a fortune.

I never knew what a fitbit was till I read about it on this forum and guess what did my homework and went and brought a fitbit one this afternoon and guess what I was all over the fitbit website and then moved onto this forum so guess what havent clicked up many steps at all...technology aye.

I was leaning towards the flexi but realised I prefer a display to keep track when out walking.

So far found the fitbit very easy to set up, comes with a silicone case which clips very easily to my shirt. I have left the wireless usb dongle (included) in my laptop but found it hasnt automatically synced like its meant too, so I log out and log back in to sync.

I must admit I looked at joining the many fitbit groups they have but didnt feel right, so had to come to 5:2 to feel comfortable. Next step will not be walking but to join the fitbit group on here.

Happy Friday everyone and have a wonderful weekend :smile:
26 Jul 2013, 10:45
I hadn't realised the Flex didn't have a display - glad I got the One! I do wish it would sync with earlier versions of the iPad - I have to sync it with my laptop, but in the almost 2 weeks I've had I've never had a problem syncing, except when they've been doing maintenance on the site. But as soon as I finish working in a couple of weeks and hand my Blackberry in I'm going to get an iPhone, so I will be able to use that to sync as well.

dhana, I justified my purchase of the fitbit (which, yes, you HAVE TO HAVE ;-) ) by totting up all I'd been saving by not eating breakfast and lunch out 2 days a week (and I haven't even considered all the wine I'm not drinking), and it easily offset the cost. Go for it!
26 Jul 2013, 12:58
I got the fitbit one for Xmas and, apart from charging it (for about 10 mins once a week) and shower time, there isn't a minute when I don't wear it. I'm totally obsessed with the info logged and logging my food which is what I credit my weight loss with so far.

When I first got it, I would aim for a minimum of 15,000 steps a day which my achilles tendons were most unhappy with and so now I've developed tendonitis and the physio has ordered me to put the fitbit in the bottom of a drawer and ignore it for the foreseeable future.

Of course, I can't do that but my daily steps are down to around 5000 steps a day and it's so frustrating as I know my weight loss would be quicker if I could walk more! Still, I'm going to take the physio's advice seriously as I don't want to be hobbling around anymore.

I would definitely vote for the One over the Flex.
26 Jul 2013, 14:17
I hope those of you who have just got or are considering getting a fitbit will join our forum users group :)

http://www.fitbit.com/group/22B49B

I've hopefully just made it open to all to join, so please let me know if that is the case.

Zingbing. I have added you anyway from your pm request :)

Look forward to seeing you on there.
35 posts Page 1 of 3