The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Procrastination
20 Aug 2013, 11:06
Followed the Getting Stronger link from the Cold Shower thread and found all sorts of interesting stuff on it. The blog-post on procrastination amused me and I thought I'd share it here - not least because footling about on this forum has to be my favourite time-waster when I'm meant to be getting on with the filing (right this very minute!) :oops:

http://gettingstronger.org/2010/12/stop ... principle/
Re: Procrastination
20 Aug 2013, 13:31
I started to not click on this thread (the title actually hits very close to home for me ;) ), and actually skipped it to post on a couple of newbie threads, then I put it off again to get a cup of coffee, then Ok I clicked, read it and clicked the link. I'll read the article later, I think ... perhaps I should read it now? hmmmm I'll get back to you on that one ;)
20 Aug 2013, 18:24
Woo hoo! Procrastinators Unite...meeting has been postponed until sometime next week. ;)
20 Aug 2013, 20:09
Reminds me of that joke about "I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!"

:grin:
20 Aug 2013, 20:17
I went in to read it and got side tracked to the diet links on the side. Might read it another time. :dazed:

Chris x
23 Aug 2013, 04:00
Never do today what can be put off till tomorrow ;>)
23 Aug 2013, 08:25
I'll come up with a joke later.
23 Aug 2013, 08:33
Saw this thread in the list of unread posts a couple of days ago...only just got around to reading it (true). I would have left it a bit longer but I've got some vacuuming to avoid doing! :lol:
23 Aug 2013, 11:20
Could I just make the distinction between procrastination and displacement activity? I've carried out intensive research into both (involving much practical experimentation at great personal cost) and they're not the same thing at all.

Displacement, you see, involves kidding yourself that you're doing something necessary and important (like typing this post) instead of what you should be doing (that would be the filing. Still). Procrastination, on the other hand, is just a straightforward putting-offing, often combined with extreme dithering and very creative excuse-making (I can't do the filing because I don't know where this one goes, so I have to go out and buy some more files to make a new file and I simply can't proceed till I've done that. Tomorrow).

All clear? Splendid! I'll go and find something else to do now.
23 Aug 2013, 11:28
Schraw, Wadkins, and Olafson have proposed three criteria for a behavior to be classified as procrastination: it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying. Similarly, Steel (2007) reviews all previous attempts to define procrastination, indicating it is "to voluntarily delay an intended course of action despite expecting to be worse off for the delay........

I started researching the definition of procrastinating for you all but then realised that you can use fat free jelly beans to spell any word you want. And, you can make each letter a different colour! Now, what was I doing?
23 Aug 2013, 11:33
Thank you for the clarification shachat! It's very clear that I'm a displaced procrastinator. I'm equally good at telling myself that what I'm doing is important (well, maybe it is to somebody) while putting off what needs to be done. :confused: :wink:
23 Aug 2013, 11:55
I'll post my thoughts on this subject later, maybe tonight or tomorrow, possibly next week....? most likely by next month but in any case definitely some time before Xmas.
23 Aug 2013, 12:12
Glad I put this off and as I am with you all maybe I will get around to reading the link later.
13 posts Page 1 of 1