The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

9 posts Page 1 of 1
In their study "The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women", which I think is one of the first human studies on intermittent fasting, Harvie et al. (2011) the composition of the menu and specifics of experimental conditions were as follows:

The CER (continous energy restriction) group was prescribed a daily 25% restriction based on a Mediterranean-type diet (30% fat, 15% monounsaturated, 7% saturated fat, 7% polyunsaturated fatty acids, 45% low glycaemic load carbohydrate and 25% protein). The IER (intermittent energy restriction) group was asked to undertake a VLCD (very low calorie diet) (75% restriction) on two consecutive days and to consume estimated requirements for weight maintenance for the remaining 5 days according to the nutrient composition above.

The VLCD provided 2700 kJ of energy and 50 g protein per day and comprised 1.136 l (two pints) of semiskimmed milk, four portions of vegetables (~80 g per portion), one portion of fruit, a salty low-calorie drink and a multivitamin and mineral supplement.

Participants were advised to maintain their current activity levels throughout
the trial, and did not receive specific exercise counselling. Energy prescriptions were reviewed throughout the trial to account for changes in weight and exercise levels to
maintain a 25% restriction below estimated requirements for weight maintenance.

the paper was published in: International Journal of Obesity (2011) 35, 714–727

e.
that's the milky version of their 2-day diet which has now morphed into a low carb diet for 2 consecutive days and Mediterranean diet for the other 5.

http://www.thetwodaydiet.co.uk/
http://thefastdiet.co.uk/the-2-day-diet/
I should imagine that two consecutive days might carry a slightly higher risk of reduced thyroid function in those susceptible to it.
there is this study on the effects of intermittent fasting on thyroid functions:
http://mjiri.tums.ac.ir/browse.php?a_co ... 1&sw=Serum
there doesn't seem to be a significant effect.
best,
e.
I've skimmed the book but decided that they had actually made things more complicated. They have a system of servings that involves you having to check what servings you are allowed of a food group and then another chart to consult to find out what constitutes a serving. The food allowed on a fast day does seem more liberal so that may be why the rwo days can be put together.

It back to finding what suits the individual isn't it? I find the basic MM version more flexible for my needs. All you need for that is a basic calorie counter. :smile:
Mediterranean diet is OK if you live in the Med. But if you live in the freezing north you need stodge! :)
claireglen wrote: Mediterranean diet is OK if you live in the Med. But if you live in the freezing north you need stodge! :)

Don't tell the Inuit :-)
Erm ... Please, what really constitutes a Mediterranean Diet? I've seen variations that are just confusing.
PhilT wrote:
claireglen wrote: Mediterranean diet is OK if you live in the Med. But if you live in the freezing north you need stodge! :)

Don't tell the Inuit :-)

Would seal blubber count?
9 posts Page 1 of 1