The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Just came across this great article summarising research into the link between mitochondrial function (especially mitochondrial DNA) with health and disease. The idea that mitochondrial fusion during periods of low energy supply promotes health but that this should be balanced with some mitochondrial fission during periods of excess energy supply is discussed.

The author speculates that:
In keeping with the concept of metabolic balance, the importance of normal periodic fluctuations of the metabolic state from settings of moderate oversupply (meals, physical rest, satiety) to those characterized by undersupply (fasted periods between meals, physical activity and exercise, hunger) should be emphasized. For example, the benefits of lifelong calorie restriction may principally arise from preventing prolonged episodes of metabolic oversupply, rather than placing the organism in a constant state of undersupply.

Fasting is not specifically discussed but the role of exercise in promoting a state of energy deficit is.

Good stuff!
Some of that information was a little 'over my head' Carorees but I think I got the gist, please correct me if I'm wrong.

To keep our mitochondria healthy and working properly we shouldn't overeat and we need to exercise, or the mitochondrial DNA could be damaged which will lead to aging and disease. So if we look after our mitochondria by exercising and keeping our weight down then they will look after us.
Kind of. Basically, they are saying not to have long periods of overeating but that some is good. So it pretty much gives a possible reason why intermittent fasting and intermittent feasting might be the best for health. Exercise helps create an energy deficit and so complements the fasting.
Thanks Carorees, so it just confirms that this is a very good way of eating if we exercise too. Great to know that we are doing it right. :grin:
4 posts Page 1 of 1