The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Awww shucks! We can't outrun our forks!
Not sure if i think this is good news or bad news!
Bad news i guess after the initial heady fleeting thought of,oh might as well not bother then! :smile:
Thanks for sharing x
No but it's great for your health & well beig though!
It's great for your health, well-being, continued motivation, good looks and chances of maintaining whatever weight loss you achieve. :smile:
not the ticket to fast weight loss but...
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/
Bobby, I think one of the points is that even the CDC lists "Control your weight" as the #1 benefit of exercise yet study after study shows it is in fact LOUSY at doing just that. Lower in the page it says, "You will need a high amount of physical activity unless you also adjust your diet," to use exercise to lose weight, but even that is misleading.

Of course one of the benefits of exercise is it is so many minutes folks aren't feeding their faces. :shock: If you can resist "rewarding yourself" for exercise, that can be a big plus.

I think they need to reorder their list to reflect that exercise is critical to HEALTH regardless of weight. Similarly being thin is no guarantee of being healthy. In general, most extremely thin women I know have low energy, lousy endurance, and no strength. Now, I do know several fit and thin women, but the very thin are usually weak and avoid exercise because their focus is on thinness, not fitness.

Personally, my goal is to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, be able to maintain a high level of activity and endurance. I am as excited about being able to do 20 pushups on my toes for the first time as I am losing 35lbs. And if I can be this aerobically active at this weight, how awesome can I be when I reach my goal? haha I want BOTH.
There was an article in a paper here that studied older men & those that did good exercise for 2.5 hrs a week lived on average 3 years longer than those who didn't. That in itself is a good reason, plus it's good for bone density as we age.
Waratah wrote: There was an article in a paper here that studied older men & those that did good exercise for 2.5 hrs a week lived on average 3 years longer than those who didn't. That in itself is a good reason, plus it's good for bone density as we age.

What about women :confused:
I love my exercise classes (jazzercise) and have done them for about 4 yrs, usually four classes a week. If someone told me that I don't need to exercise, I would continue. It's my time away from it all, we have a tremendous amount of fun, and I feel brilliant after. I also believe that if you have always exercised it becomes your way of life and you will always exercise in one way or another. Recently as an added bonus It also increases my fitbit activity score!
I'm perpetually baffled by how scientific evidence appears to contradict my personal experience on this one. All I know is that I definitely lose weight faster when I exercise regularly. I'm not that fit, so we're not talking about running marathons here - an hour's brisk walk daily plus some floor exercises do it for me.

And do I exercise daily and speed up that much desired weight loss? Ah, now, that's another matter altogether. It's that well known scientific principle of irresistible force (strong desire to lose weight) meets immovable object (me with an attack of the Lazies)! :oops:
I think whether exercise can help you lose weight is too dependent on individual factors for a sweeping generalisation to work. One factor is that exercise can build muscle, and muscle weighs more....so some of those people may have lost fat weight and gained muscle weight. And, if people dont compensate for the exercise through further eating, it will lose you weight...so it's habit keeping the pounds on, ot exercise not losing it.

I too have a friend who has lost 10 stone over the last 2-3 years...more through exercise than diet actually. She started running and zumba, before she changed her diet, and lost when it was exercise only. The thing is though, she didnt waste what she'd burnt, as she wanted to lose weight for the sake of her kids and that motivation stopped her...
The article doesn't mention combining dieting and exercise, just exercise as a means of losing weight.

Any time that I have dieted, my weight loss has been speeded up by exercise. I lost more weight on the 5:2 diet this summer when I cycled over a thousand kilometers in 25 days than I have since I came back and became my usual sedentary self. I also definitely saw more weight loss on a past diet when I started swimming twice a week.

In any case, I think we need to see exercise and intermittent fasting as a permanent life style if we want to be still running around at 90!
Dr. Mosley did a documentary called "The Truth About Exercise" (here's a link http://video.pbs.org/video/2364989581/) and he found that there is an actual gene that determines how much benefit you will get from exercise. This explains why some people go to the gym and the pounds melt away, and some people struggle to seemingly no effect.
Thank you for the video reference, Tracieknits. Unfortunately I don't have access to it "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions."
21 posts Page 1 of 2