The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi

I am a middle aged women a diabetic type 2 & very overweight. Today is the fist day of my fasting. It's now 4.30pm & I'm hanging out for my evening meal.

I am on long acting insulin and wondered if anyone else doing this diet was the same. Just wondered if it was helping your BLS's by being on this 5:2 diet?
Hi and welcome. I'm not diabetic myself but my other half is. I did'nt think this programme was suitable for type 2 diabetics, but I'm guessing your clued up enough to keep a close eye on your s/l hopefully one of the admins will see this post and maybe have some advice for you.
Good luck x
Have you adjusted your insulin to the the reduced food intake? Losing weight by any reasonable method is likely to improve your blood sugars. This diet will probably require closer monitoring and tailoring of BS and insulin dosage than others, since food intake varies so much for day to day - you may be overeating a bit the day after a fast as well. If I were using insulin, I wouldn't like to embark in this diet on my own without discussing it with my dietician/diabetes nurse/diabetologist.
Here on the forum, carorees (admin) knows a lot about diabetes, you might consider sending her a personal message.
Hi, yes, there is a member called 150lbs who has had very good improvements in blood glucose such that she has been able to reduce her meds. She is not on insulin treatment though.

You will probably need to reduce your insulin on fast days as in non-diabetics basal insulin is reduced during fasting to allow fat to be burned. You will need to monitor bg correctly...4+ times per day before deciding whether to reduce the dose, which unless you are used to adjusting your own medications should be done in consultation with your docs.
Hello all. I found out about this diet from a friend who is Type 2 diabetic on Lantus (long acting insulin). Since I am also, he thought I might be interested. After three weeks my friend has reduced his insulin by a third all the time -- not just on fast days. And he never had a hypo--he just gradually reduced insulin in response to his blood sugar readings. I'm seriously considering beginning this way of eating myself as I've gained 15 lbs. (about 2 stone) the past 6 months.
Thanks for your replys. Today is my second attempt at fasting as my fisrt day I falied because after my evening meal I snacked a bit.

I did not take my insulin this morning as I thought I would eat all my 500 calories for dinner. I took my BSL's at 4.30pm thinking they would be quite high since I didn't have my morning insulin, and to my amazement it was 6.1, I was thinking it would be qround 14 or 15.
:victory:
Am about to eat dinner soon, wish me luck that I don't snack later in the night.
I too am very overweight and a Type 2 on insulin. I was approved for a gastric bypass a few years ago but lost my nerve and didn't have it. But part of that was the 'Milk diet' which the hospital put you on, where you only 'eat' (drink) milk for several weeks, so I think I could easily do the 5:2 diet, and very much want to start. At that stage I was on 56 units of Novomix twice daily, and it was recommended that I should drop it to 36 units, twice daily which I did. Now I am back up to 58 units twice daily and am wondering how much to put it down on fast days - if at all. I am very interested in anyone else doing the same thing, and am so glad to have discovered this thread, where people with similar concerns are. I think the trick is to just keep monitoring and use common sense (have never had any help with adjusting doses from my surgery anyway) so will read of other people's experiences with great interest ! :like:
Most of us save a few calories for late-night snacking. I leave 60, enough for two rice cakes and a broth made with half a stock cube.
I am a type 2 diabetic. I called my doctor and ask him about this diet and insulin. I take long lasting morning and evening and short acting at my meals. He told me not to take insulin on my fasting days. Another advantage and money saver of this diet. I would not advice anyone to to that unless they have spoke to their doctor. Of course, he laughed at he diet. But this is week 3 and I have loss 5lbs. and 3 inches. I am thrilled. And it is so easy to do.
Welcome to the forum samko! Well done on the fasts and loss! Good that you discussed it with your Doctor and we shall see who laughs at this WoE (way of eating) in the end, eh? ;)
I am T2 using too many drugs to mention including Lantus (long acting) & Humalog (fast acting). My doc was fine with trying 5:2 as long as I keep my eye on my sugars & decrease unis as appropriate. So far, I've been able to cut the Humalog, but not the Lantus yet. I'm excited because its the first time I've been able to cut in years. I'd never do anything without Dr.approval, but I'm happy they listened to me when I asked them about it, esp when I directed them to Dr. Mosley"s Horizon special & the British cardiovascular journal article from this past summer.
11 posts Page 1 of 1