The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

74 posts Page 4 of 5
Re: Mental health
10 Jun 2013, 20:13
TML13 wrote: Is alcoholism considered a mental disease?

It is not defined in the mental health act as a metal disorder but it can cause one and is often related to the fact someone is a dependant drinker due to depression or anxiety or as a way to self medicate for various reasons
11 Jun 2013, 11:14
My dad who was alcoholic definitely had mental problems which drove him to the drink. When we wasn't drinking (which he managed to do for 40 years before falling spectacularly off the wagon when he hit 70), he was 'addicted' to various supplements and routines, so it was clear he needed some kind of crutch. He had anxiety problems and took anxiolytics but it did not do enough hence the need for routine, tablets and eventually alcohol again. I think that the mental instability was there from the start and lead to the alcoholism rather than the other way around. I think his wartime experiences together with the underlying anxiety issues pushed him into the alcoholism as in those days real men did not have (i.e. admit to) mental problems.
11 Jun 2013, 11:19
Nor was post traumatic stress disorder recognised for our rels who fought in the war back in your Father's day Caroline
11 Jun 2013, 11:56
hugs to all coping with their own or others mental illness. I too have suffered with anxiety and depression for over 20 years. A really good site is Elefriends. Lots of like minded people who are non judgemental and supportive.
My OH is a psychotherapist/Psych nurse so is very good at coping with me. Another one with family history of mental health issues. Manic depressive grandparent, schizophrenic uncle and cousin with personality disorder.
11 Jun 2013, 12:15
Hi Jaine,

What a great post, and it's great that you have been so upfront and honest.

I echo everyone that has replied on here in that I hate the stigma that is still attached to Mental Health problems - although, as already mentioned it isn't as bad as it once was. If you have a physical illness/disability people understand, but as soon as you mention the mind then people can be very sceptical.

I have suffered since childhood with depression and anxiety. I came off medication last year, and that coupled with heaps of CBT has kept me straight so far. I was always afraid to discuss it with people, for fear of being judged. Looking back I really wish that I had opened up, especially to family.

Mental Health Awareness is really so important, and I do hope that the rest of the world catches on.

All the best on your journey!
I wish you all the best
01 Jul 2013, 15:41
Quick update, had a complete meltdown, forgot to do my 5:2 & just getting it together again, new tablets that I am told will make me huge but starting 5:2 next Monday (hopefully).
Anyone else take anti-psychotics? These are my 3rd ones as the others made me so ill.
You can always PM me if not happy to talk on here.
Jaine
01 Jul 2013, 15:56
Glad to see you back Jaine. Fingers crossed the tabs don't make you huge.

I have 2 sons, one who is Aspergers but did so well in school he was never diagnosed. He has an IQ of over 138 but the social skills of a dead pot plant. He is curreently depressed but the docs won't give him anything as he needs to lose weight (he's on 5:2 with me) for surgery.

The youngest son is Autistic with a low IQ, learning difficulties, OCD, Dyslexia, dyspraxia, mild ADHD and now has Vasovagel Syncope probably brought on by anxiety and claustrophobia, thankfully his depressive episodes are short and sharp with a quick recovery. He is handsome enough to be a model, so people don't believe it when we tell them to treat him differently. We also took him out of school because the school environment was harming him, we are still Home Educating him.
01 Jul 2013, 15:57
PTSD here. I've been lucky in that one of my closest friends also suffers, so he and I can support one another.
01 Jul 2013, 16:29
Julieathome wrote: Glad to see you back Jaine. Fingers crossed the tabs don't make you huge.

I have 2 sons, one who is Aspergers but did so well in school he was never diagnosed. He has an IQ of over 138 but the social skills of a dead pot plant. He is curreently depressed but the docs won't give him anything as he needs to lose weight (he's on 5:2 with me) for surgery.

The youngest son is Autistic with a low IQ, learning difficulties, OCD, Dyslexia, dyspraxia, mild ADHD and now has Vasovagel Syncope probably brought on by anxiety and claustrophobia, thankfully his depressive episodes are short and sharp with a quick recovery. He is handsome enough to be a model, so people don't believe it when we tell them to treat him differently. We also took him out of school because the school environment was harming him, we are still Home Educating him.

Bless you. Makes me feel like a self pitying cow reading your post x
01 Jul 2013, 16:38
Bipolar disorder.

Diet is a big problem for people with mental health problems as virtually all the medication we are given tends to make people gain weight. Plus when we are unwell we don't always eat properly. I am very very pleased with the 5:2 diet.
01 Jul 2013, 16:41
Nope, your not a self pitying cow. A mental health problems is as much body chemistry and wonky biology as Diabetes is, yet if you tell anyone you have diabetes, and you are slim, they rally around. If you are fat then its all your own fault. A mental health problem is the same but its assumed its ALL your fault, unless you talk to someone else in the same boat.

I have had depression in the past as well. I am lucky to have a lovely hubby and a helpful doctor who got me over it.

One thing to have checked is your Testosterone level as its not normally checked in women, mine was found to be low. With patches and then implants I haven't had depression since. I am looking forward to the menopause as that will mean my testosterone will naturally be higher and I can come off the implants.
01 Jul 2013, 21:30
I have been diagnosed with bipolar, although like many people with bipolar I`m not sure if my diagnosis is correct. Have had 3 episodes of hypomania, but never seem to get clinically depressed (in my opinion). Not on any medication and feeling OK at moment, so I don`t really care what box I`m put into.I definatly think talking therapy did me more good than all the antipsycotic medication I was prescribed, which has the downside of weight gain, and lots of other horrible side effects.I agree that there`s a lot of stigma attached to mental health issues, and one way of combating it is to "come out", so well done Jaine.
01 Jul 2013, 21:48
Hi thix
in my experience overweight is not a big problem with people that have clinical depression and are 55+.
I work in a day centre for over 55's who have been in hospital with depression. We have around 250 people a week; I can only think of 2 who are overweight which is much less than you would find in the general population
02 Jul 2013, 00:01
Julieathome wrote: One thing to have checked is your Testosterone level as its not normally checked in women, mine was found to be low. With patches and then implants I haven't had depression since. I am looking forward to the menopause as that will mean my testosterone will naturally be higher and I can come off the implants.

Are you sure of this? I thought it was the opposite and checking Google seems to support that.

"At menopause, women experience a decline in testosterone. That decline may be correlated to a reduced libido. Some findings indicate that testosterone replacement therapy may benefit sexual function in certain perimenopausal and postmenopausal women. Testosterone replacement is unadvised in women with breast or uterine cancer. It also may increase the chances of cardiovascular disease or liver disease. So, experts are cautious about recommendations."

http://women.webmd.com/guide/normal-tes ... men?page=2

Of course, you may have something going on that makes a difference but I'd check with your therapist if I was you. Don't want you getting your hopes up in vain!
02 Jul 2013, 01:00
Please don't feel ashamed of your condition, my grandmother had two breakdowns, my mother had a phsycotic condition with paranoia and was given the antiphsycotic ( don't think that's spelt right!) drug aripriprosole and it helped he enormously. Plus she was very tiny and didn't gain any weight at all. My youngest grandson is autistic and I have been on meds for years for anxiety. I have a plate on my wall saying you don't have to be mad to live here, but it helps!!
We have a lovely lot of people on this forum ( the best ) and I bet there is not many can say that they are all perfect!! It is being talked about more now ( which is brilliant) and I think mental illness has touched most of us in one way or another as we go through life.
I hope all these posts have made you realise you are not on your own, we are all here for each other. Xx
74 posts Page 4 of 5