For a loaf approx. 800g:
250g white bread flour
250g wholemeal bread flour
½ teaspoon salt
10g fresh yeast

Calorie count:
250g white bread flour (@351cals/100g) = 877.5
250g wholemeal bread flour (311cals/100g) = 777.5
So 1655 cals for the flour, plus 22 cals for 10g fresh yeast = 1677 cals all together

If you made a loaf with this, you would need to weigh the baked loaf and divide the number of slices into 1677 – for instance, 15 slices would give you 110 calories per slice.

However, if you made 10 rolls – each weighing around 80g before baking – there would be 168 calories in each roll. Of course, if you're incorporating bread into a fast day, you can make the rolls to suit yourself. So 15 rolls would be the same as the slices above.

Baking doesn't alter the calorie counts, AFAIK - if you take your loaf out early, it may weigh 750g. Leave it another 5 minutes and it may weigh 730g, say. But wait until it goes cold before weighing it - a loaf will typically lose about 20-30g between weighing it while it is hot, and weighing it cold. But the calories will be constant.

I'll put up a blog post about this later.

HTH, B&W.
Thanks Breadandwine but I was the one who went off piste so my fault but hopefully of interest to others!
Just done similar calcs myself though forgot to cut out the oil and sugar from my loaf so it comes out higher than yours.Will try your recipe later! Ta!
I make my own bread too so thanks!
Tried the bread last night and its gorgeous. I made 100cal rolls and am looking forward to one as a treat when I get back from Rock Choir tonight. I'm always ravenous when I get home so saved 100cals allowance to have later!
Thanks B&W!
Flour - check!
Yeast - check!

It's all happening this weekend!

Am making bread with my kids. Will report back, B&W! :D
Re: Homemade bread
10 Feb 2013, 14:57
Thanks B&W for this. I've just made some bread rolls. Though, I think I may have been a little over cautious on the sizing them. I wanted to get them to be about 100 cal so some of them seem to be only about 30g (and that's when they're still warm)! I'm not very good at calculations. Another benefit of this WOE is it's making me use arithmetic a lot more (something I've always shied away from). But I expect after a bit of practise I'll get used to it. Very nice rainy Sunday morning thing to do. I might experiment next time with nuts and seeds (I know this can up the calories but I think it can help the GI load) Thank you :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1