The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

59 posts Page 1 of 4
I am morbidly obese
17 Mar 2013, 22:11
:cry:
According to Wiki
Any BMI ≥ 35 or 40 is severe obesity
A BMI of ≥ 35 and experiencing obesity-related health conditions or ≥40–44.9 is morbid obesity
A BMI of ≥ 45 or 50 is super obesity

I am on my third fasting day and need this to work for me.

I would love to hear from others in the same dire weight range.
I need support and am willing to support others too.

I have never said the words "morbidly obese" out loud, and can't see myself ever actually doing it, but here on this forum I feel like I have the chance to be real about the situation I find myself in and actually doing something about it before its too late.

I need to lose 45kg just to be "acceptable" as far as BMI is concerned (close enough to 100 pounds).

This is going to be a long journey but every journey starts with a single step.
Re: I am morbidly obese
17 Mar 2013, 22:19
HI Kaz & welcome :) You're among friends here, and we'll all be here to support you through this journey. Although I didn't start off MO, I know where you're coming from struggling to say it out loud. I couldn't believe it when I found out I was obese. I'm now almost back into the health range after 7 months doing this and the weight is still coming off - albeit slower now, but I'm pleased to be able to enjoy my food, feel better about myself and still see the numbers going downwards.

The good news is that the more you have to lose, the more quickly it should come off in the first couple of months before it slows off to a more steady rate. If you've not already signed up to the Progress Tracker I suggest you take a look as you'll be able to get a realistic idea of what kind of weight loss you can expect to achieve in what timescale based on your age, gender, size etc.

Best of luck to you my dear, I'm sure you'll find 5:2 does wonders for you.
17 Mar 2013, 22:23
Hi, im new to the forum too and am obese, not sure by how much, not checked but im sure theres quite a few of us on here or were before this started this regime.

Stick with it, im sure you can do it, im starting tomorrow [but fast day friday]
17 Mar 2013, 22:25
Hi Kaz,
You will get so much support from us. Most important is that you allow yourself to feel compassion and acceptance of your process. Each day is a new day and with patience and willingness you can do it.
17 Mar 2013, 22:29
Hi,

I am fairly new to this forum and to 5:2, seems like a great place to get sensible advice and support. Don't be frightened to ask questions or ask for support, we are all here for a similar reason.
17 Mar 2013, 22:30
Hey Kaz

Nice to see you here, this works, just go with it and see how it feels for you. Moogie said it all really, just adding my good wishes
I'm fasting tomorrow , and it may sound weird but I'm looking forward to it
17 Mar 2013, 22:31
Hi Kaz, there are quite a few of us on here who have admitted things in writing on the forum that we are perhaps not proud of, including myself. It is quite empowering. If there is one tip I can pass on to you it would be to stick with the forum I have found the support and advice invaluable. Good luck.
17 Mar 2013, 22:51
thank you everyone :heart:

Baby steps it is. I am fasting today and I know I will get there eventually. The numbers are very big but I will just chip away at them slowly.
I am using the tracker, and when I am a little further into this mountain that I have to climb, I will click the little box to show my stats but i'm not quite that brave just yet.

thank you for the support and the warm welcome :)
17 Mar 2013, 23:03
Hi Aussie Kaz!

I was Morbidly Obese when I started this diet in January. I've lost 9 pounds and just barely lost that designation. Now I'm simply Obese.

Baby steps are key. My thryoid is out of whack, and so I know it's going to take me longer. They've reduced my meds to try to encourage my thyroid to speed up to a better level, so I'm hoping that works.

But yes, baby steps!! Welcome to the forum :-)
17 Mar 2013, 23:04
We have all admitted a problem by joining, therefore we all support and help everybody.
I have just left the obese category - it feels great. Please chip away at it, you have buddies here and when you get to the summit of this mountain, boy will we all celebrate with you.
Congratulations on the first steps.
17 Mar 2013, 23:13
Hi Kaz and welcome

Yes, I would say I was experiencing health issues due to my weight so was probably MO. I am not sure what my weight actually was because I didn't weigh for a couple of weeks. I think it must have been around 100kg though. I'm now down to about 80kg after 4 months so there's definitely hope.

Please do take some time to read the FAQ (link in my signature below) and post any questions you have.

Good luck.
17 Mar 2013, 23:16
I am new too.
Just wanted to add my good wishes, moogie said it all you are among friends who will always be there for you. Stay with it girl!
Toni x
17 Mar 2013, 23:23
When I mentioned I was losing weight to my doctor he cracked out his chart and told me I have 5 stone to lose to be an acceptable weight! That was a cheery moment! I have been doing 5:2 since 7th jan and am nearing the first stone off mark, so I too have a long road ahead! But I will get there and so will you! I began by eating 'normally' on my non fast days and so progress hasn't been fast (a lb a week pretty much), but the scales go up and down in a frustrating way at times. I have been strict about my fast days and never allowed myself to fail or even swap days as I need that discipline, and only now am I beginning to address my eating habits on non fast days as they are definitely hampering progress and I have bad habits that will take time to change. Fasting has definitely helped me to think about the way I eat and the amount I eat! I intend to fast away all the surplus fat and find my inner thin who hopefully will be a lot healthier too! We can do this...
18 Mar 2013, 02:09
Hi Kaz

You can do it, dont think of the whole number just little bits of it. :like:
18 Mar 2013, 07:10
Hi Kaz

This forum is a good place to be. Chip away at it, you can get where you want to be. Give yourselve smallish targets to reach to begin with, its better than looking at the bigger picture. I am now a size 16 and feel great, still 'obese' though according to the charts. I don't do labels, do this for yourself.
Good luck
59 posts Page 1 of 4