The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Palpitations....
27 Mar 2013, 09:50
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this following a fast day? I've been doing this plan for about 3 weeks now, on Mon/Thurs with no problems. Then last night (Tues) I had a period of heart palpitaions on & off (mostly on) for about 6 hours. I had eaten normally on Tues, not dehydrated, so just wondered if it could be related? Anyone else experienced this?
Re: Palpitations....
27 Mar 2013, 09:55
Yes, I experienced palpitations along with headaches. Strangely when the headaches stopped so did the palpitations. I have only just realised that the palpitations had gone when I read your post.

I did wonder whether it was the coffee that I drank - no more than usual but wondered if the lack of food was intensifying the effects. I drink more water now that when I started and probably a bit less coffee.
27 Mar 2013, 11:10
I had several hours of palpitations during the day yesterday - something which had never happened to me before, although I haven't fasted for the last week because I was on antibiotics which needed taking with a meal, four times a day. I also felt terrible and stayed in bed most of the day, sleeping whenever i could. Today my resting pulse is 82, normally it is 55 -60. This is definitely not normal for me and I am going to the doctors this afternoon to see if she can throw any light on why this is happeninig.
The good news is that yesterday was an involuntary fasting day as I didn't really want anything to eat when I finally surfaced! Every cloud...!
27 Mar 2013, 11:59
I used to get these a lot and GP was ready to send me for tests until I cut back on coffee and they stopped. This was prior to fasting though.
It can be an indication of some heart problems so I would be getting them checked out if it happens again and you can't put it down to too much caffeine.
27 Mar 2013, 12:49
Prior to 5:2 I had heart palpitations on and off for years thought I was having a 'heart issue' or something really dire and would get extremely anxious and it would worsen. I have even gone to emergency 2x's and called paramedics 1x. Finally discovered, by accident, that I had heart BURN, lol. Took an acid reducer twice a day for a couple of weeks and now only occasionally and no more heart palpitations.

Another 'trigger' for my heart palpitations and anxiety is too strong coffee. I drink coffee all day long, sleep well at night but discovered that what I make at home is far less potent than what I buy from starbucks or coffee bean and such. If I'm out of town, I now buy 'half-caf' or 'de-caf'.

Hopefully your issue has as simple a solution as mine did.
27 Mar 2013, 13:44
I used to get palpitations along with hot flushes at the start of my menopausal journey when the flushes were really intense. Since they improved I hardly ever get the palpitations. I do occasionally but have not noticed any link with fasting...might be with coffee though...I need to check.
28 Mar 2013, 08:35
Thanks for all your replies...lots of people have mentioned coffee but I don't drink it :(
A few minor episodes again yesterday, so will go & get it checked out. Supposed to be a fast day today, but I'm just going to have a 1000 cal 'careful eating' day until I get it checked out. Can't believe they're too dangerous, but my brother had a cardiac arrest out of the blue in his 40's so I'm going to be careful...
28 Mar 2013, 09:11
Summary of how diet can cause palpitations here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47209 ... ions-diet/
28 Mar 2013, 09:14
And here's an explanation of what palpitations are and what info your doctor will need: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/112/18/e299.full
28 Mar 2013, 11:12
Thanks so much for the info, Caroline - that's really helpful. I've got a GP app this PM so will try & have a bout before then so I can record some information! :)
29 Mar 2013, 10:25
Well, GP not overly concerned, as it wasn't happening during exercise - basically advice was keep an eye, if it happens regularly then a 24 hr ECG thingy. So back on the fast with a vengeance on Monday! Thanks for info & advice folks, particularly Caroline :)
13 Apr 2013, 10:13
Kimster, very glad that you checked out OK. I saw my doctor and she did an ECG, which was fine. She admitted that her diagnosis was 'probably less than satisfactory' but put it down to a virus. It hasn't happened since but at least, if it happens again, I will know that I'm not dying!
12 posts Page 1 of 1