The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
hi knowledgable ones

title says it all really
i never used to eat breakfast then went through a phase where i did, now since doing 5/2 for a while i find i dont really want/need breakfast at early o clock and can often wait till 11ish so was wondering, can i combine a 16/8 window on my 3 work days with 500 cals on the other 2 days and normal eating /drinking at weekends

cheers
jeniben.
I have done just that this week, and guess what - I have put 4 lbs on. I'm sure it is me (eating too much in the 8 hour window) not the diet combination and I still think this is a good way forward.
Good luck and let us know how it affects your weight loss.
Sure you can. I often do this and have lost 2 stones doing 5:2/16:8 combo. I don't do it all the time - depends on my mood. But yes, I still skip breakfast and generally eat two meals - no snacks - between 2-10pm and I am now maintaining.

Just make sure you don't overeat during your window. You may do so if you feel you have to cram all your calories into a small window. Stopping snacking between proper, discrete meals will help.
BSSH, well done on your amazing weight loss. How long has it taken for you lose 5 stone and has it all been on 5:2?
I do a 4:3/16:8 combo, I did the 16:8 first but didn't find it strict enough for me, plus I kept yo-yo-ing the same 6lbs on and off, since doing them together I lost the 6lbs and then another 4. I'm not really a breakfast person anyway, I've done the 'breakfast is non-negotiable for weight loss' diets and it always felt like I was forcing myself to eat. You either love breakfast or you hate it, whatever works for you.
Slimmer, thanks. I lost 3 stones last year doing calorie restriction, then got bored of calorie counting so shifted to 5:2 this year to get rid of the remaining 2 stones.
I'm experimenting with this at the moment and found that after a fast day I don't eat till 1ish but by about 11 I get a boost of energy and can feel that I'm burning fat off. Might be in my mind but that's how it feels. I don't eat loads the day after a fast and will have about 1400 cals. I have been mixing it up between eating normally, eating lightly and drinking to much hahahaha and just trying to get an overall balance for the week.
thanks you all
this wol is so flexible isnt it
i wont feel bad if i do some 16/8s and have normal days too. will just keep an eye on the cal count so i dont overindulge tooooo much on a saturday night

jeniben
jeniben wrote: can i combine a 16/8 window on my 3 work days with 500 cals on the other 2 days and normal eating /drinking at weekends?
jeniben.

After a month-long stall, my weight has finally starting to drop again, thanks to shifting to 16/8.
I got stuck on a weight plateau after my GP changed my blood pressure tablet to a non-diuretic medication. No weight loss at all since, just the usual up-down, always getting back to the same level.

I started doing 16/8 last Friday, fasting between 8pm and 12 noon everyday (16-hr fast), as well as sticking to 500 cal twice a week, and this seems to have kick-started the weight loss. Today, I am 3lbs down from last week.

On a non-fasting day, I eat my usual light lunch after 12 noon and a normal evening meal between 7 and 8pm.
On a fast day, I have a cup of home-made veggie soup around 4pm, followed by a light evening meal before 8pm.

I'll carry on with this at least until the end of the month, and probably longer.

edited for sp...
I go the KISS principle and just think in "days of week."

Tuesday and Sunday i fast
Monday, Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday i dont

usually on those eating days i just starting eating as normal whenever that happens to start till i go to bed

counting windows and hours between last eating windows is too complicated for me. :-)
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I go the KISS principle and just think in "days of week."

Tuesday and Sunday i fast
Monday, Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday i dont

usually on those eating days i just starting eating as normal whenever that happens to start till i go to bed

counting windows and hours between last eating windows is too complicated for me. :-)

I don't count hours and windows either. :lol:
My post above was simply a detailed explanation of how I went about kick-starting my stalled weight-loss.

The simple version is skip breakfast and don't snack after dinner! :like:
YES, you can. Well, I can and it's what I did for quite a while but then it just came naturally to me and I think that is half the battle, do something which you and your system are happy with not something which is making you miserable and unhappy as you will never stick to it. I love doing 16/8 and when I have done 5:2 it has not been deliberate it's just come about on a day when I was not very hungry or I was particularly busy.

Good luck and keep going, :like: :clover:

Ballerina x :heart:
Hi Jeniben, silly me, I didn't see this thread and asked much the same thing this morning. I think Ballerina has got the right idea. I am going to mix up 5:2 twice a week and 16/8 the other days too and see if it helps me to get off the plateau and back on the downward trend. Be interesting to compare notes, I will keep a look out for your posts.
"counting windows and hours between last eating windows is too complicated for me."

Hi Juliana,

I never actually count the hours, I don't have to as I do exactly as Keihira says and "skip breakfast and don't snack after dinner!"I never want breakfast anyway, so absolutely no thought required on that front and I also don't like eating late in the evening, so, another no brainer for me. I've always said that this is easy if it suits you but it must be a nightmare if you can't live without breakfast, like my husband. He'd rather slit his throat with a rusty knife :knife: than not have breakfast :starving: :cry:

In my book, NOTHING could be simpler, never count calories and eat to YOUR natural rhythm, job done!! :grin:

It is this type of personal flexibility which makes this whole way of eating so fabulous for me. :victory:

Ballerina wrote: "counting windows and hours between last eating windows is too complicated for me."

Hi Juliana,

I never actually count the hours, I don't have to as I do exactly as Keihira says and "skip breakfast and don't snack after dinner!"I never want breakfast anyway, so absolutely no thought required on that front and I also don't like eating late in the evening, so, another no brainer for me. I've always said that this is easy if it suits you but it must be a nightmare if you can't live without breakfast, like my husband. He'd rather slit his throat with a rusty knife :knife: than not have breakfast :starving: :cry:

I

Fair enough if one adds the "skip breakfast and don't eat after dinner on Fast days" principle, that's a nice simple addition to the "day of week" concept. I guess i pretty much do that now too. Only a couple of coffee and dash of milk for breakfast. and i skip my infamous muesli after dinner habit that i only now do on feast days.
16 posts Page 1 of 2