The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

35 posts Page 1 of 3
Pancake day
09 Feb 2013, 22:05
I've just realised that Pancake Day is on my fast day :o

So how many calories are there in a pancake?
Re: Pancake day
09 Feb 2013, 22:19
Hi barlemow1

I've got a calorie-counted pancake recipe on my blog - works out at 90 cals per pancake, including the sugar and lemon:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/pancakes-using-just-flour-and-water.html

You'll also save yourself approx. 9p/pancake! :D
09 Feb 2013, 23:03
Thanks for that. I might save up all my calories for the day and treat myself :)
10 Feb 2013, 05:57
either that, or change your day for that week.
10 Feb 2013, 13:47
Thankfully not a fast day but am working 8-8 so I cheated and bought a bottle and tub of ice cream. Love pancakes so there was no way I'd be fasting :)
10 Feb 2013, 15:51
Maybe make an omelette instead, for slightly less calories?
10 Feb 2013, 17:15
Nah...changing my fast day - I'm not missing pancake day!

Usually do savoury ones to start then sweet ones to follow.

What fillings does everyone like in their pancakes? I used to stick to the traditional lemon and sugar until I discovered lemon curd...mmm!
10 Feb 2013, 20:29
Oh I love pancakes!!! Brown sugar or Nutella or jam :) Also I'm changing my fast day to have a nice meal on Valentine's day. And Chocs :)
11 Feb 2013, 12:05
None fast day for me tomorrow :) I like ones with golden syrup or nutella. Lemon curd sounds yummy though!
11 Feb 2013, 12:10
I love lemon & sugar, lime & sugar, lemon & syrup or - call me crazy, icing sugar & butter. That's what the Dutch put on poffertjes, their little mini sweet pancakes. I have a poffertjes pan and some boxes of the powder to make them, so I'll have normal pancakes for starters and poffertjes for dessert. Can't wait!

In my student days I used to make lemon buttercream for my pancakes, which was absolutely delish - I guess a bit like the poffertjes topping but mixed up and with a bit of sour added.
11 Feb 2013, 13:14
Yum, I'm fasting today and looking forward to Pancake Day tomorrow. We start with savoury pancakes (chopped ham, mixed herbs & grated mature cheddar) before moving onto the sweet course. The favourite is lemon & sugar, but Nutella is good too, as is maple syrup with chopped pecans...
Enjoy!
11 Feb 2013, 13:29
What is Pancake Day? Is that a british holiday?
11 Feb 2013, 13:41
Its the UK equivalent of Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. The day before lent when you are supposed to eat up all your luxury food ready for fasting throughout lent. Not a holiday but an excuse to gorge on pancakes with a variety of highly calorific toppings!
11 Feb 2013, 15:35
Has anyone got any good ideas for savoury ones? When living with an ex we used to go to his mums and she made these amazing chicken "mush" pancakes. It was chicken and ham kind of mush, a bit like you would find in a chicken pie, but the chicken was shredded and it was thick, not like in a gravy. I'd love to know how to make that, guess I should have asked before we split up lol.
11 Feb 2013, 22:47
My mum used to make that chicken and ham mush too and I never thought to ask her (too late now as she died 10 yrs ago)...I think it had mushrooms in it too.

I usually do a Bolognese sauce type thing, put the filled pancakes in an oven proof dish, pour over cheese sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake. And/or I do steamed broccoli in a blue cheese sauce. I might try chicken and bacon in a cheese sauce +/- mushrooms now you've reminded me of the mush!
35 posts Page 1 of 3