The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Exciting stuff!
08 Mar 2013, 18:41
Hi there - I have just found the forum, and am thrilled that there are so many 5:2 ers out there! My husband and I have been fasting for almost 6 months with amazing results. Weight loss has been steady at about 2 pounds a week mostly, so I have lost one and half stone from 11 st lllbs to 10 st 3 lbs and my husband from 16 st 10 lbs down nearly 3 stone to 13 st 12 lbs. BUT - we didn't really go on it for the weight loss - I have a chronic pain/fatigue condition (so of course weight loss was important too), and my husband has IgA nephropathy (chronic renal failure)and was nearing dialysis. The effects of the 5:2 have been amazing - my pain and fatigue has reduced considerably, and I am much lighter and 'nimbler' on my feet. The absolutely amazing thing though is that my husbands kidney condition is improving (and he had been told it was a definite deterioration towards dialysis/transplant). His eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) in November was 17.9% and on his last visit to the consultant in February it had risen to 21.4% - too much to be just a blip or variation in measurements. We are looking forward to his next results. Perhaps this is the cellular regeneration happening triggered by the drop in IGF. We are so excited, it has given us another year before dialysis has to begin (if at all!!)
Re: Exciting stuff!
08 Mar 2013, 19:00
Hi sand33 and welcome

Wow! That is amazing and wonderful. I do hope it is not a blip and your OH moves to a eGFR of over 30 and more! Am I right in thinking that the weight loss will have improved GFR? But whatever the reason, its brilliant!

Hope you enjoy our forums!
08 Mar 2013, 19:32
Wow - that's fantastic! congratulations!

Welcome to the forums :-)
08 Mar 2013, 21:42
Can anyone explain to me what a stone is? I see a few people posting they've lost a stone or 2 or three.
08 Mar 2013, 21:43
14 lbs = 1 stone :-)
08 Mar 2013, 21:46
Very good. Thank you.

Thats considerable weight loss. :like:
08 Mar 2013, 23:02
Thank you for your positive responses. We are hoping that some cellular repair is happening in my OH's kidneys, because of the fasting 'trigger' which Michael Mosley talks about.
7 posts Page 1 of 1