The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I assumed it would be fine? I know loosing weight helps with fertility so why not fasting? Anyone in the know??? :confused:
I was interested in why this was too as we are hoping to start trying when I have lost my weight but then wouldn't want to stop 5:2
sparkelevergreen: Didn't you ask this a little while ago? Or was it someone else? Anyway, I've not seen any research at all about intermittent fasting and TTC. The evidence I've seen about a reduction in fertility with calorie restriction applies to severe, prolonged calorie restriction. I think that twice a week fasting should not affect fertility, but there is no definite proof. However, as you say, losing weight helps.
Claire23: I would guess that once you have lost weight an are on maintenance you would only be fasting once a week or twice but with less severe calorie restriction so unless you are planning to reach a very low BMI (under 20), then I can't see that your fertility would be affected. But again, no proof, just my opinion based on the research into low calorie diets and fertility.
i did ask but didnt really get an answer to the question, and i saw it in the FAQ but without a reason so thought id try again as new people are here all the time, thanks for your reply
Yes, I'm sorry we just don't know...like so many questions sadly. Of course, this should change in time. Good luck with TTC though! You will let us know if there is good news on that front won't you now? ;-)
5 posts Page 1 of 1