The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Just realised that I started 5:2 exactly six months ago. How time flies. :shock: Of these months, three have been on 5:2, reaching goal after this period. Since then, I have never fasted 2 days in one week, as that would certainly get me to a lower weight than I would like. Currently I fast only occasionally (this year only one fast to get away with the weight from the holiday season). Do I still see myself as a 5:2 faster? Strange as it may seem, the answer is yes. I still see my current weight and health as a continuous result of being a 5:2 'faster for life'. The same holds for my effortless maintenance of weight using only an occasional fast. Surely, being part of this wonderful 5:2 community also plays a huge role in still seeing myself as a 5:2 faster. :like:

Since I went into maintenance I do not have new data on blood parameters (they will follow in summer), only on blood pressure, which is consistently perfect (120/70). Do I feel happy about all this? Yes :grin:

I know this is a situation which many of you consider to be something that is in the far future, but in the end the lesson might be:
You do not always need to fast two days a week to be a happy 5:2 faster!
I agree with you PJK, although I'm nowhere near being at maintenance, I'm still struggling to get back into the fasting swing. I've put on weight but know that just with one fast a week it still keeps me from putting on the weight I've lost...too rapidly. Basically I can nip it in the bud. I'm hoping that tomorrow is the first of my new regime: every other day fasting.a..then I'll return to 5:2 when I'm happier.

Well done for sticking with 5:2 :-)

Bean :bugeyes:
Ten months without strict fasting for me. Long periods without food, skipping some breakfasts, 16:8 etc all work and being OK with hunger and thereby not snacking is a bonus. I still count myself as a 5:2er, possibly as a graduate of 5:2!
I'm following a similar pattern as CreakyPete and the weight seems to have stabilised at 54.0-55.5kg which is amazing as I was aiming for 59.5! This has been almost 6 month now (from end July 2013) so definitely a 5:2er for life as I have never had such results before.
Interesting question.

Same here. Under my 11 stones (154lb) target, which I'd originally, and optimistically, set at 12 stones (168lbs). Happy to drop to 10.7, but probably no lower.
I no longer do strict fasts either, but a couple of days around 700-800.
However, I'm in the Dryatlon (giving up alcohol for January) and that is making a big difference, so I shall reassess on 1 Feb. May drop to once a week, then
So I guess it's just a case of finding what maintenance programme works for you isn't it. I don't quite understand how the weight doesn't increase when you stop fasting or does it increase and then you start fasting again. Oh the joys of being in maintenance! I can only dream of such dilemmas

Bean :confused:
I think that's it, bean. Just as we all have had slightly different takes on 5 2. I achieved my 11 stones goal at the end of October, dropped some, gained a bit over Christmas, but have never gone back over target.

You'll get there, dear bean!
:clover: I can only dream of actually getting to this stage but dreams do sometimes come true especially when you're working hard towards a goal with lots of help + advice from all the forum members, but I do love reading all the posts of everyone here and I will "store" this advice for the future.
Well done everyone and keep on giving us the helpful advice because if we can't use it now we soon will. :clover: :clover:
I'm a 5:2 faster who reached goal in July, took her eye off the ball in October, regained some (but not all) of the lost weight and is now three weeks into 'recovery'! :smile: My target was to maintain, which I did for four months (longer than ever before), so my new target is to return to my goal weight and this time succeed in maintaining for good. Wish me luck!
Ooppps incorrect edit sorry!!!

Maybe @Betsysgr8 can wave her magic wand :shock:
:clover: Oh Yes best of luck @StowgateResident You can do this because you have both the tools + motivation to succeed( having been at target) you know where to aim. :heart:
I don't think you could maintain a new lower weight with the calorie consumption and exercise level pre-5:2. There would be too big a calorie load for the lowered TDEE. We all know that there have been changes in our eating habits and activity levels if not outright new exercises being taken up since starting 5:2. Even if we haven't reached maintenance, the knowledge that we physically won't or shouldn't eat the portion sizes we needed to, to get through the day when we were bigger is something to aim for.

Even now, as an obese person who is a nearly 12 month faster, I now have to share puddings, I have halved most of my meal sizes and my choices of food have changed, for the better I hope, definitely for the tastier.
Julie - I couldn't agree more.

My meal choices are radically different now - I aim to fill half my plate with veggies whenever possible, my portion sizes are greatly reduced and a see a "mini" 150 calorie ice cream bar as the perfect size.

Fasting has given me more control over food than I ever thought possible :-)
13 posts Page 1 of 1